[c-nsp] Disconnecting single PPPoE links of MLPPP bundle?

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sat Jan 20 06:54:58 EST 2007

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net <> wrote on Friday, January 19, 2007
10:50 PM:

> we are running MLPPP-connections to several customers. The
> DSL provider does a forced disconnect on any connection after an
uptime of 24h,
> which we already force to occur at 3AM by using the Session-Timeout
> through our Radius server.
>
> While this is fine for single connections, we would prefer to
> disconnect Multilink-connections one at a time, which would then lead
> to virtually no downtime, as at least one connection would still be
> up at any time ... I first tried to set different session timeouts,
> but this feature is used for the ML-bundle in total, not the single
> links. Therefore, I reckon the only way I have is to manually
> disconnect the virtual interfaces ...
>
> Two problems/questions:
>
> I've tried scanning the SNMP tables for the user names of all
> connected virtual interfaces but can't seem to find any ... I would
> prefer not running a telnet/show user to get the user table ... is
> there any way to do this via SNMP?

check out the CISCO-AAA-SESSION-MIB. Every connection is represented
there, and you can also disconnect sessions this way ("aaa session-mib
disconnect" to enable this).

> Second: Can I send an SNMP command (via RW-community) to disconnect a
> certain virtual interface?

Same as above.. Alternatively you could also use the Radius
Packet-of-Disconnect feature to disconnect users (and I think also
individual PPP sessions) via Radius.

As an alternative, you could also control the disconnect on the client
(assuming you use Cisco CPEs), see below for a config sniplet (posted by
Daniel Roesen recently) which uses the "kron" feature on the CPE:

int Dialer1
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink-group 1

int Dialer2