[c-nsp] High Density T1 Question

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Jan 23 00:14:05 EST 2007

> I was looking for an OSM card of some sort to terminate a multichannel
> OC3 (is there such a thing) into a 6509 (or similar) and get rid of my
> 7513s

Yes, OC3 and OC12 circuits can channelize down to DS3 and then DS1 (all of
which can happen inside one device) level (I suppose OC48 and higher could
too, but I've never seen anything larger than an OC12 broked all the way
down to DS1s in one device).

Cisco has the 10000 series with a channelized OC12 interface that can go
down to DS1. The 12000 series has a similar card (which is the only one
now, looks like they EOL'ed most of the 12000 blades). If you go the used
route, there is a blade for the 12000 that takes two OC3s and breaks them
down to DS1 level interfaces. That is probably the best fit for you if you
can use your 12000 to terminate the DS1 circuits this way.

You could also put all your old PA-MC-T3 PAs into a 7200 and save some
space that way.

     -Bill