[c-nsp] High Density T1 Question

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Jan 23 09:51:58 EST 2007

I have a Seranoa WANPort,  great 1U box,  it takes 12 x DS3 (HDLC,
PPP or FR) and converts them into 336 VLANs on a GigE.  The GigE goes
into a 7206 NPE-G1 and each VLAN gets an interface on the router.
Unfortunately Seranoa doesn't exist anymore and they sold the product
to White Rock (VLX300).  White Rock recently sold to Turin Networks.
I think someone said last month that the VLX300 was actually sold to
Adtran recently.

It is a nice system for providing 'Ethernet Everywhere'. I use it to
convert my legacy T1s onto my Transparent LAN service.  Great Idea,
too bad they never sold enough to keep the business going.

I'm also using a Zhone MALC 723,  4U device, 23" wide, NEBS compliant
that can terminate 240 DS1s (EFM, PPP, ATM) into GigE.  And the
Paradyne IPD12000E (now Zhone IPD12000E) that can terminate 288 DS1s
(EFM/Net2Net) in a chassis for Ethernet bridging over DS1

It is too bad the the Cisco channelized OC-3/12 interfaces are so
insanely expensive.

--
Matthew S. Crocker
President