[c-nsp] Filtering incoming advertisements in RIP

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jan 24 09:27:26 EST 2007

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net <> wrote on :

> Afsheen Bigdeli wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> How about setting "passive-interface default" in the router config,
>> and then "no passive-interface interface-name"? That way you can
>> explicitly define the interfaces that listen/respond to RIPv2
>> packets.
>
> Quote from cisco.com:
>
>> For RIP and IGRP, the passive interface  command stops the router
>> from sending updates to a particular neighbor, but the router
>> continues to listen and use routing updates from that neighbor;
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09
> 186a0080208748.shtml#disin
>
> The whole process described in that document seems to be not working
> on
> 12.2(18)SXF, it explicitly states that the global
> distribute-list should not be checked if there is one configured for
the
> ingress interface. I tried a (named) ACL instead of a prefix list as
well, no difference.

strange.. can you unicast the exact configuration and exact version,
smells like a bug.
How many RIP interfaces do you have (or rather: how many do you want to
have)? There could be workarounds like working with a single extended
acl as distribute-list or using the distance cmd, but those might not be
practical depending on the envionment?

	oli