[c-nsp] Multicast on a 6500 running ios

Jeff Tantsura jeff.tantsura at sscplus.nl
Mon Jan 29 08:07:01 EST 2007

Hi Geir,

Yes, unfortunately it is.
If you have got only 2 ports within multicast VLAN - disabling igmp snooping
wouldn't really trouble you.
If there are more ports and you'd like not to broadcast every multicast
packet you could configure static CAM entry like:

mac-address-table static 0100.5exx.xxxx vlan y interface
gigabitethernet a/b gigabitethernet c/c

When you configure a static entry, enter the disable-snooping keyword to
prevent multicast traffic addressed to the statically configured multicast
MAC address from also being sent to other ports in the same VLAN.

Try to read RFC4541 :)

Hope this helps,
Jeff