[c-nsp] Bugs in the 12.2(33).SRA1

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Tue Jan 30 04:14:02 EST 2007

> Perhaps what I'm most annoyed is lack for DOM statics over SNMP, which
> used to work great in SXF. But SRA tries to check if SFP/XENPAK really
> is supported for DOM, and if cisco deems it is not, it happily
> displays DOM in CLI, but according to TAC intentionally does not export to
> SNMP. But at least for me, even supported XENPAKs (such as cisco DWDMs)
> mostly do not export DOM over SNMP in SRA.

This is clearly a serious design flaw. Noone could create a complete list of
supported transceivers and once some manufacturer changes the product
code all users will have to upgrade their IOS just to get DOM over SNMP.
And of course, this will prevent the users to use DOM in cases where
Cisco does not provide DOM-capable transceivers although they are easily
available on the market.

There is absolutely NO reason to introduce such flawed code, since the
transceivers indicate their DOM capability by setting specific bits
in their EEPROM. If there's fear that someone might plug in some crappy
transceiver which sets those bits incorrectly, much more apropriate
solution would be to introduce per-interface command to disable DOM
for this specific interface.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----