[c-nsp] How many sessions can a 7204vxr-npe300 and 7505/rsp4+ do?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 31 10:00:08 EST 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> I'm not talking about massive aggregation here... Or 'don't do it'.
> I need a solution for sub 1000 services.  Nothing fancy will be done on the
> router - no MPLS, no nbar, no acl's even.
>
> I used to do some 900 sessions on an AS5200... Are these units more prepared
> than a 7500?

900 simultaneous PPP sessions on an AS5200?  I think you must be mistaken.
I can't imagine a 5200 doing that without:

a) running out of RAM (they only have 8 or 16mb)
b) running out of CPU (CPU is similar to a 2501 [68030])
c) running out of bandwidth unless these were all Very low speed / low
utilization connections (10mbit half duplex ethernet uplink).

Pick more than one :)

Even if you'd said it was an AS5300, I'd be doubtful.

Our AS5800's were basically 7206 NPE200's doing up to 644 PPP sessions
each, but at just dial-up speeds.  One was sold with an NPE300 VXR as the
sole router shelf, but at the time cisco lacked working code, so it didn't
run that way for long.  Using that as a baseline, it seems reasonable to
assume a 7206VXR with NPE300 or NPE400 or better could do around 1300
sessions or more, depending on traffic and features.