[c-nsp] 7600 cef confusion

Sukumar Subburayan sukumars at cisco.com
Wed Jan 31 14:05:23 EST 2007

> knees and possibly requiring local access to reload).
>
>> This is what recover is supposed to do:
>>
>> 1. Try to reload the fib entries to HW again and unfreeze
>> 2. If after a certain number of attempts we still cannot recover
>>    we reset the system
>
> This sounds to much better, and reset sounds better than freeze. Why
> on earth is freeze default?

I agree it was a bad choice. But, it is being corrected to 'reset' as the
new default, in newer releases. Until then, you can use configuration
command to enable 'reset'.

> What kind of problems could I expect to have with recover?

Recover needs a lot of robust testing to make sure everything went well,
and we have covered all corner cases and other events happening during the
recovery process.

Currently we are investigating a more robust way for recover. Until then,
'reset' would be your best option.

  Is it deemed
> that it's quite unlikely that system could recover so clean reset
> right away on average outperforms recover?

that's right.