[c-nsp] IPTV and MPLS

netman netman at oneidatel.net
Wed Jan 31 21:04:29 EST 2007

Hello,

We have a installed IPTV deployment that has been providing service for about 3 years. Their are 8 companies that utilize the service. We have just purchased 7600 series routers with 10 gig optics.

We are going to migrate our current IPTV traffic (multicast about 480 meg) over to this new network. We are alos going to carry our Internet traffic from the 8 companies over this network.

I am looking at MPLS to handle the separation  of the traffic. In a lab environment I have 4 of the 7600's connected and configured with multicast running in a mVPN.

Our pre-sales engineer told me I should not run our multicast traffic in a vrf instead it should be in the global routing table. Then they said to run our Internet traffic in the MPLS.

Are their any members here running IPTV and if so could you give me a brief on how you have this type of network configured?

Also, any idea why Cisco would not want us to run our Multicast traffic in a mVPN on our 7600's?

Thanks

Don Hickey