[c-nsp] Lawful Intercept Questions

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Wed Jul 4 12:08:35 EDT 2007

Hi all,

In previous posts I asked about a way to 'mirror' or intercept a PPPoE
session.  It seems the consensus was this wasn't really possibly without
utilising the lawful intercept features available in IOS.

Further questions on this topic:

1)	The LI feature-set - latest 12.4T has:
				IP IPSEC 3DES
				IP IPSEC 3DES LAWFUL INTERCEPT
				IP/FW/IDS IPSEC 3DES
				SERVICE PROVIDER
				SERVICE PROVIDER IPSEC 3DES LAWFUL INTERCEPT

Does this mean that there is no IP/FW/IDS version with Lawful Intercept?

2)	If I am licensed for IP IPSEC 3DES - Do I need to purchase the LI
version?

3)	What is a mediation device? - Costs/Brands/etc?

4)	Are there any commercial packages which work with LI to perform this
task

5)	Hardware Requirements - will a 7200NPE400 handle it, or will a
thousand PPPoE sessions (average traffic patterns) be too much to run LI as
well?

6)	Is there really no other possible way (hardware/software/etc) to
intercept/mirror/etc a specific PPPoE session on a router to be able to
comply with requests from Law Enforcement entities?

--
Skeeve Stevens, RHCE
skeeve at skeeve.org / www.skeeve.org

eintellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net
--
I'm a groove licked love child king of the verse
Si vis pacem, para bellum