[c-nsp] Unicast storms

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at autempspourmoi.be
Thu Jul 5 08:44:02 EDT 2007

Steve, Saku,

thanks for you continued interest in my problem :)

>  I thought we were talking of non-PFC platforms but I re-read and we
> havent established what platform it is. In which case I would be wrong.
>
> And yes you can block them (port block unicast) but I'm not sure if that
> was what Vincent wanted as he was looking at rate-limit solutions.
>
> Vincent? :)

I'd better step back from the initial question, and rephrase the problem.

The problem is: I am making the assumption that network performance on the
LAN could be sub-optimal due to frequent unicast floods (i.e. switches are
flooding all ports with unicast frames because it does not have the
destination MAC address in its table); and I would like to verify whether
this is the case or not.

So before even blocking or rate-limiting, I'd like to
1) assess whether those floods are happening or not
2) quantify them to understand whether they are at a reasonable level or not
3) locate their source

so that I can take the required action (maybe adjusting ARP timers on
redundant routers, rate-limiting, blocking, etc.).

Is there a way to do this? We are talking about 2970 running
"c2970-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEB4".

Thanks for your input

Vincent

PS: what is PFC?...