[c-nsp] Catalyst QoS Based on VLAN ID

Kurt Bales kwbales at kwbales.net
Thu Jul 5 09:40:42 EDT 2007

Hey All,

I have "inherited" a network design that involves a series of Switches in
effectivly this design:

                         [7200-BGP]
 [Cust_A] == Trunk == [My 3560_A] == Trunk== [My 3500XL_B] == Trunk ==
[Cust_B]
                            ||                     ||
                           Trunk                  Trunk
                            ||                     ||
                          [Cust_C]               [Cust_D]

This design was to create a layer 2 network between a group of mutually
assocaited Customer peers, so that Cust A could have a VLAN trunked from his
trunk all the way through to Cust_B (after I set up the appropriate VLAN
trunk allows on my equipment of course). As well as each having an VLAN for
L3 interconnect to my 7200 for BGP peering between all peers.

I am in a position now where I am required to rate limit certain VLAN's down
to set limits. Say VLAN 601 (Cust_A <-> Cust_C) is only to be 5mb, but VLAN
602 (CustA_ <-> Cust_B) to be 3mb. Obviously, I cannot apply QoS on the
physical port that Cust_A connects to, because each VLAN requires a
different speed. There are no SVI's on either switch for those vlans, so I
cannot apply the QoS there either.

Is there any way to do rate limiting or policing based on VLAN id on the
equipment I have? I understand that the ME3750 can do "Hierarchical Queuing
Framework", where I can do "Logical QoS" but I currently a) have none of
this kit, and b) most likely cannot afford to use it either.

Does anybody see any options to achieve this outcome?

Kurt Bales
kwbales at kwbales.net

"When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every
hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that
day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles,
Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words
of that old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God
almighty, we are free at last!" - Martin Luther King