[c-nsp] Catalyst QoS Based on VLAN ID

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Thu Jul 5 22:44:11 EDT 2007

11:40pm Kurt Bales said:

> I have "inherited" a network design that involves a series of Switches in
> effectivly this design:
>
>                         [7200-BGP]
> [Cust_A] == Trunk == [My 3560_A] == Trunk== [My 3500XL_B] == Trunk ==
> [Cust_B]
>                            ||                     ||
>                           Trunk                  Trunk
>                            ||                     ||
>                          [Cust_C]               [Cust_D]
>
> This design was to create a layer 2 network between a group of mutually
> assocaited Customer peers, so that Cust A could have a VLAN trunked from his
> trunk all the way through to Cust_B (after I set up the appropriate VLAN
> trunk allows on my equipment of course). As well as each having an VLAN for
> L3 interconnect to my 7200 for BGP peering between all peers.
>
> I am in a position now where I am required to rate limit certain VLAN's down
> to set limits. Say VLAN 601 (Cust_A <-> Cust_C) is only to be 5mb, but VLAN
> 602 (CustA_ <-> Cust_B) to be 3mb. Obviously, I cannot apply QoS on the
> physical port that Cust_A connects to, because each VLAN requires a
> different speed. There are no SVI's on either switch for those vlans, so I
> cannot apply the QoS there either.
>
> Is there any way to do rate limiting or policing based on VLAN id on the
> equipment I have? I understand that the ME3750 can do "Hierarchical Queuing
> Framework", where I can do "Logical QoS" but I currently a) have none of
> this kit, and b) most likely cannot afford to use it either.
>
> Does anybody see any options to achieve this outcome?

This sorta sounds like what Skeeve was just asking about. The CCO bible
says you have to make each switchport use vlan-based QoS. Then put your
service-policy on the SVI.

If you aren't running an L3 address on that SVI, then I have no idea what
happens. Would love to learn too...before I have to set this up in the
lab...soon.

../C