[c-nsp] Regarding HSSI Loop back test

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 6 10:01:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:55:01AM +0300, Wycliffe wrote:
> Try ping the interface from outside the router. Ie on from onother interface
> like Ethernet

This will test whether the interface is "up", but it will *not* test
the physical hardware, the loop, etc. - as such it's pretty useless to
do a loopback test.

When pinging from the router, it will send out the packet via the interface,
and then it will be looped back - so you can see whether the hardware is OK.

[..]
> #sh run interface hssi 0/1
> ip address 83.229.2.82 255.255.255.252
> loopback dte
> serial restart_delay 0
> no cdp enable
> end

This is where I see the problem - "loopback dte" instructs the router
to do a loopback towards the line, and the line is looped via RF cable,
so there is effectively two loopbacks...

To test converter and RF cable, remove the "loopback" statement from
the interface.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de