[c-nsp] Filtering BGP routes with route-map vs. not getting them in the first place

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Jul 6 14:36:48 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

  I'm back with another stupid "BGP on a 3750" question.  I need
"customer only routes" to the few providers that I have.  From what I
can tell, I'd end up with far less than the 8,000 max routes this
platform can handle.  I have two options when configuring this:

a)  When bringing up the BGP session, I can request aggregated
customer-only routes (what I want).

or...

b)  I can request a full table and filter them myself with route-map
statements (I think).

  With "a" I will have a much simpler configuration (not that it
matters much).  Will the 3750 have problems even receiving these
routes, even if I am filtering them?  I can imagine all sorts of
potential nastiness with that configuration.

  If not, I'd much rather go with option "b".  I would have more
control over my routing and it would be easier to upgrade to a more
capable router in the future (less co-ordination with ISPs, just
remove route-map statements).  I like this idea more.  Can the 3750 do
it?  What would happen?

Thanks!

--
Kristian Kielhofner