[c-nsp] Advice on upgrade

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Sat Jul 7 10:01:33 EDT 2007

--- neb at exemail.com.au wrote:

> New to Cisco world (which is why I ask advice here and not a sales rep
> :->), I think I am going to want either a 7304-NSE-100, or 7604 with
> Sup32, or would a 7200 NPE-G2 be more than capable?
>
> We are not in need of BGP as we have a single carrier, but this may change
> in time to come.

So are you just using equal-cost multipath to spread across the 3 gig-e's
presently? What do those "not long" ACL's look like?

Assuming the ACL's are reasonable, go for a 3750G-12S's -- as long as you
operate it within its limits:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12237se/scg/swsdm.htm

...it will outperform everything you're considering but the 7604 at half the
cost. If you ever start turning up BGP with a second provider, you'll have to
be very selective to stay within TCAM, but otherwise will be fine.