[c-nsp] Advice on upgrade

neb at exemail.com.au neb at exemail.com.au
Sat Jul 7 03:23:20 EDT 2007

Hello,

The time has come for us to upgrade the border router, currently not a Cisco.

The traffic passing on GIGE is around 800 mbp/s
Have need for 3 GIG ports currently with view to a fourth next quarter. It
has 17 ACLs (not huge lists).

New to Cisco world (which is why I ask advice here and not a sales rep
:->), I think I am going to want either a 7304-NSE-100, or 7604 with
Sup32, or would a 7200 NPE-G2 be more than capable?

We are not in need of BGP as we have a single carrier, but this may change
in time to come. Would a 7600 be even suitable for our needs as is it more
or less a layer 3 switch if I understand my research on itbor would it be,
but it's overkill?

Maybe someone has better device suggestion?

TIA
Nick