[c-nsp] WIC errors

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Jul 10 14:02:30 EDT 2007

Higham, Josh wrote:
> We just had this crop up last week, with a genuine Cisco WIC.  TAC said
> they have seen it before, and reseating (2-3 times) should resolve the
> problem.
>
> We have not tried the fix yet, though (would like to know if it works).
> Notably in our case the T1 interface was administratively down, fwiw.

I pulled mine last night and replaced it with a counterfeit that works.
I did notice that it barely took any force to pull the genuine card - it
even came out by lightly pulling the cable - and it made me wonder if
the card is way too loose in the socket. The fake was much more snug.
Boo for genuine "quality".

It only showed errors when I tried to do a "show service-module" which
caused the prompt to hang for a bit and those errors would show up in
the log. It it would stop erroring after doing a "clear service-module".
I don't know how I can recreate this if it is a loose connector on the
WIC because it only happens every month or two.

Even then, how do you convince TAC to replace the hardware because of a
loose connector? Would they even believe me? The solution "reseat the
card whenever it happens" is quite poor in my opinion.

~Seth