[c-nsp] Cisco 7507 RSP4+ with VIP-2 and 2PA-FE-TX

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Sat Jul 21 05:13:11 EDT 2007

Humm, and I haven't followed them for a while, so sure it's all dropped, but
when I was last watching eBay for the suckers, the GEIP sold for about
750-1000, and the GEIP+ sold for about 3000-4000.   If they GEIP+ is now down
to under a 1000, I agree it's a no-brainer.  The VIP4-80 is a far nicer VIP
than the VIP2-50, which is what the GEIP+/GEIP's are based on.

> I'm definitely not pushing 400Mbps continuously.  As you would imagine
> for a home network, my traffic is *very* peaky, but if I could get my
> peaky transfers as fast as possible, I'd be happy.

Really at home, your internal traffic around the house shouldn't be routed
unless your really doing something unusual or for play.  For that type of
stuff a nice Catalyst switch, maybe even one with L3 if you need routing would
handle that peaky traffic much better.

> > Outside of BGP table issues, I wouldn't even touch it, it's been a great
> > router.  I have it running 12.2S, in SSO mode with dual RSP4's, a couple
> of
> > the GEIP+'s, and all the other cards are all on VIP4-80's as well.
>
> That's a pretty nice setup.  I am probably going to try to upgrade to
> RSP4 + VIP4 soon.

I know some seem to have terrible issues with the 75xx units, but knock on
wood, this thing has been a rock. Shy of someone DDOSing the hell out of it, I
never have any problems. I almost hate to loose the redundant RSP's upgrading
to a 7206VXR, but I just couldn't justify putting a 76xx router with a
SUP720-3BXL in to run the co-lo stuff.  Granted I can't say I recall any of my
7206's at the old company ever failing, so hopefully the new NPE-G2 will be a
champ as well.

Here is the old stuff that is still online and running, just real close to
being out of RAM for BGP..

http://gallery.leadmon.org/d/5637-2/DSC03352.jpg

> > The only thing I would really see wrong with it at home is the power it
> draws,
> > I am sure that has to hurt on the electric bill!
>
> Well, I am running a 7505 and not a 7507, which helps a bit with the
> power bill.  It's still a pretty big load.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

---
Howard Leadmon
http://www.leadmon.net