[c-nsp] 12.4(11)T QoS problems (again)

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Fri Jul 27 00:10:06 EDT 2007

Cisco Field Notice: Field Notice: FN - 62854 - Cisco IOS - Performance
Degradation and Reloads Possible When Using Quality of Service Features in
Version 12.4(11)T - July 26, 2007

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps6441/products_field_notice09186a008088cc2f.shtml

"Workaround/Solution
There is no workaround that avoids all possible symptoms. A complete
solution is expected to be available in Cisco IOS version 12.4(15)T1. To
avoid the symptoms, users may downgrade to a pre-12.4(11)T release or
upgrade to 12.4(15)T1 when it becomes available. Cisco strongly
discourages deploying an IOS 12.4(11)T release with QoS features enabled
due to the potential severity of symptoms."

We went to 12.4(15)T around the beginning of July (it is now a Deferred
Release) and it did *not* help so we went back to 12.4(4)T1 which does fix
the performance problems.  One can see the exact change dates via this
MRTG CPU graph: http://noc.ilan.net.il/stats/ILAN-CPU/tau-7206-cpu.html

I see 12.4(15)T1 came out July 20.  Has anyone tested it (non-Cisco) and
found that it does solve all performance problems?

-Hank