[c-nsp] Cisco 6509 VRRP no preemption

Gier, Menno de (Menno) mdegier at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Jul 31 15:24:57 EDT 2007

All,

We have two Cisco 6509 switches (A1 and A2) running VRRP over a trunk
between both switches. We have configured VRRP with no vrrp preemption.

After a power down of switch A1, which was selected as master VRRP, the
VRRP moved to the switch A2, as it should be.

After power up it of the switch A1 it became Master for the VRRP again
and the other switch A2 became backup unexpectedly.

Is this normal behavior of VRRP after a reboot?

We have configured VRRP to be non preemption to avoid a second traffic
interruption. We want to have the switch-over taking place in service
hours under our control.

Thanks in advance,

/mg