[c-nsp] Cisco 6509 VRRP no preemption

Gier, Menno de (Menno) mdegier at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Jul 31 16:32:48 EDT 2007

We don't want the router to switch back if the original master recovers.

My understanding from no preemption is that there will no switch back
unless manual override or if the 'new' master fails.

We use
interface Vlan1100
 ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0
 vrrp 10 ip 10.0.0.1
 no vrrp 10 preempt
 vrrp 10 priority 200

Below is the output.

/M

R1#show vrrp all
Vlan1100 - Group 10
  State is Master
  Virtual IP address is 10.0.0.1
  Virtual MAC address is 0000.5e00.010a
  Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Preemption disabled
  Priority is 200
  Master Router is 10.0.0.2 (local), priority is 200
  Master Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Master Down interval is 3.218 sec

R1#show vrrp interface Vlan 1100
Vlan1100 - Group 10
  State is Master
  Virtual IP address is 10.0.0.1
  Virtual MAC address is 0000.5e00.010a
  Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Preemption disabled
  Priority is 200
  Master Router is 10.0.0.2 (local), priority is 200
  Master Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Master Down interval is 3.218 sec

R2#show vrrp all
Vlan1100 - Group 10
  State is Backup
  Virtual IP address is 10.0.0.1
  Virtual MAC address is 0000.5e00.010a
  Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Preemption disabled
  Priority is 100
  Master Router is 10.0.0.2, priority is 200
  Master Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Master Down interval is 3.609 sec (expires in 2.681 sec)

R2#show vrrp interface Vlan 1100
Vlan1100 - Group 10
  State is Backup
  Virtual IP address is 10.0.0.1
  Virtual MAC address is 0000.5e00.010a
  Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Preemption disabled
  Priority is 100
  Master Router is 10.0.0.2, priority is 200
  Master Advertisement interval is 1.000 sec
  Master Down interval is 3.609 sec (expires in 2.717 sec)
#