[c-nsp] no hits on egress flow-sampler map 7600/WS-SUP720-3BXL

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 06:37:56 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:35 +0200, Koen wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have the following issue with a 7600/WS-SUP720-3BXL (12.2(33)SRA3).
> I only see hits on the ingress flow-sampler map and "no" hits on the
> egress map?
>
> I have configured netflow like this:

My understanding was that egress netflow was not supported on the
sup720.

You are also presumably aware that sampled netflow on the sup720 does
not in fact do "true" sampling. All the traffic goes into the netflow
cache, and the export process samples 1/N of the resultant flows.

> interface Vlan208
>   description "Blaat"
>   ip address 123.456.789.0 255.255.255.252
>   no mls ip
>   no mls switching unicast
>   flow-sampler ingress_Vl208
>   flow-sampler egress_Vl208 egress
> end
>
> I want to see AS info, so thats why the "no mls switching unicast" is
> configured (this way routing is done in software and not in hardware).

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Don't do that.

Why are you under the impression you don't see AS information with
hardware switching? My understanding (based on some pretty detailed
information from people who ought to know) is that if you configure one
of:

mls flow ip full
mls flow ip interface-full

...then when the flows are expired instead of being exported directly
from the DFC/PFC they're punted to the MSFC which adds the AS# and
output interface information.