[c-nsp] BGP - load-balancing on dual AS interconnection

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Jun 14 12:14:15 EDT 2007

Vincent De Keyzer wrote:

> another question on a different topic : imagine BGP customer (C) and BGP
> provider (P). For some reason C wants two links from P, in two different
> cities.
>
> Is it possible to achieve load-balancing on both links (my feeling is: no) ?
> If yes, what configuration does it require from both C and P? Do things
> change in case there is a second BGP provider?

Look up the Cisco BGP path selection algorithm.  One of the (late) steps
is IGP cost to the exit point - this will likely provide "hot potato"
routing.  POPs logically (IGP-wise) close to Pa will leave via Ca, POPs
logically close to Pb will leave via Cb, and traffic arriving into
Provider logically close to Ca will leave via Pa, etc.

MED would be perhaps the next likely knob to twiddle for BGP tuning.

pt