[c-nsp] CDP agent for hosts

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jun 18 11:52:04 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 09:57:55AM -0500, ChrisSerafin wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to use CDP on
> servers/workstations?

To easily see which switchport you're connected to, or vice versa, to
see on the switches which machine is connected where.

Of course this can all be done by proper documentation, but CDP is soooo
convenient :-)

(I *love* to run "tcpdump" on a machine to verify that it's indeed connected
to the switch port that the documentation claims...)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de