[c-nsp] CDP agent for hosts

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 18:46:21 EDT 2007

Hi Chris,

On 6/19/07, ChrisSerafin <chris at chrisserafin.com> wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to use CDP on
> servers/workstations?

For us it's mainly to assist with troubleshooting and auditing. It's a
large government environment with what seems like almost constant
office relocations.

The network operations folks are in a different city to us
design/planning guys. We use third party "hands and feet" to perform
relocations and sometimes it's just too hard to figure out which of
the (3) network interfaces in the probes are connected to which switch
port - sometimes port descriptions aren't accurate and MAC information
is not at hand.

Having the probe (or any host) spew out CDP advertisements eases the
headache when you're troubleshooting something remotely at 2 o'clock
in the morning :-)

> Chris Serafin

cheers,
Dale