[c-nsp] Solid L2 switch - 2948G or 3548-XL-EN?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:04:59 EDT 2007

TCIS List Acct wrote:
> We are looking for a cheap, but solid L2 48-port switch.  My investigations have
> led me to the WS-C2948G and the WS-C3548-XL-EN.  I know the 2948G is CatOS
> based, and the 3548 is IOS based (and both are EOL'ed).  Any experiences with
> these switches in a light-duty environment would be appreciated.

They're both older switches, so getting them new is probably not in the
cards.  I don't know whether or not you can buy SmartNet for them or if
they'll even let you recertify.

But in any case, the 3548XL probably has a bunch of L3 features you
don't need.  If memory serves, the 2948G goes for a bit less money
nowadays, so if you can save some coin, go with the 2948.

Peace...  Sridhar