[c-nsp] Solid L2 switch - 2948G or 3548-XL-EN?

Steve Feldman feldman at twincreeks.net
Tue Jun 19 20:36:33 EDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> TCIS List Acct wrote:
>> We are looking for a cheap, but solid L2 48-port switch.  My
>> investigations have
>> led me to the WS-C2948G and the WS-C3548-XL-EN.  I know the 2948G
>> is CatOS
>> based, and the 3548 is IOS based (and both are EOL'ed).  Any
>> experiences with
>> these switches in a light-duty environment would be appreciated.
>
> They're both older switches, so getting them new is probably not in
> the
> cards.  I don't know whether or not you can buy SmartNet for them
> or if
> they'll even let you recertify.

According to my notes, the 3548XL reaches end-of-support next month,
so you cannot get SmartNet for them.  I think the 2948G is still
supported.

> But in any case, the 3548XL probably has a bunch of L3 features you
> don't need.  If memory serves, the 2948G goes for a bit less money
> nowadays, so if you can save some coin, go with the 2948.

No, the 3548XL is layer 2 only.  I think the layer 3 features started
showing up in the 3550 series switches.

We still have many of the 3500XL-series switches in use, and we've been
very happy with them.
	Steve