[c-nsp] Solid L2 switch - 2948G or 3548-XL-EN?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Jun 20 01:57:51 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007, Jeff Kell wrote:
> Steve Feldman wrote:
> > No, the 3548XL is layer 2 only.  I think the layer 3 features started
> > showing up in the 3550 series switches.
> >

> IIRC, the XLs are all L2 only.  The 29nnXLs were strictly 100Mbps while
> the 35nnXLs had Gig (uplinks).

The 2924-XL-EN (IIRC) which has two expansion slots and 24 ports can
take (at least) single port gigabit modules. Not that I'd suggest it
in any new deployment considering nicer kit is about.

> Wasn't the 2948G the odd one that could do L3, but only the uplinks?  or
> was that a 49xx?  Never had either one.

The 2948G (not G-L3) runs the Cat4k CatOS and not IOS; I couldn't find any
L3 configuration options back when i was using them quite often.

Adrian