[c-nsp] Solid L2 switch - 2948G or 3548-XL-EN?

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Sat Jun 23 14:25:08 EDT 2007

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 June 2007, Gert Doering wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 10:25:28PM -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
>>
>>>Wasn't the 2948G the odd one that could do L3, but only the uplinks?
>>
>>That was the 2948G-L3, which was EOLed very quickly, and deserved so.
>

> I'd be curious as to why.

It really was meant to be an L3 device - You had to do BVI's to put a vlan on
multiple ports.  The FE ports couldn't do ACLs - You had a 'special command'
to force traffic to route out of the GE port and back again to apply ACLs
there.  However, the 'special command' only applied to IP packets without
options - if someone sent IP options, IPX, AT, NetBIOS, etc, you were shafted.
I'm sure there are other reasons too.  It was rubbish.
--
Ian Dickinson
Senior Network Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net