[c-nsp] Solid L2 switch - 2948G or 3548-XL-EN?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jun 23 15:47:01 EDT 2007

On Saturday 23 June 2007, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> [The 2948G-L3] really was meant to be an L3 device - You had to do BVI's to
> put a vlan on multiple ports.  The FE ports couldn't do ACLs - You had
> a 'special command' to force traffic to route out of the GE port and back
> again to apply ACLs there.

Right.  It was somewhat like the 8500's in these regards, just less flexible.
So you do ACL's on the GE uplinks (something like you would have had to do
with the 8540, for instance, if the 16 port FE card didn't have the ACL
daughterboard) and don't do them on the FE ports.  For most usage that's not
to terrible of a limit.  The non-Catalyst-like VLAN setup is probably the
most odd thing about them (again, they are very much 8500-like in that
regard).

I was mostly curious if someone had had issues with them, other than these
documented limitations.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer