[c-nsp] Solid L2 switch - 2948G or 3548-XL-EN?

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Sat Jun 23 17:48:26 EDT 2007

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Saturday 23 June 2007, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>>Plenty of bugs. *Especially* if you actually tried to use them for L2.
>>The 2948G-L3 is dead, and deservedly so.
>
> Ok, what sort of bugs have people experienced with these?  I say this because
> I have three, and if there are configurations that tickle these bugs, I'd
> like to know so that I can avoid those configurations.  Not using them is not
> an option, though.

Anything that used ACLs was suspect.  The L2 support was very weak.  We were
so impressed with the 2948G-L3, we took them out of service, put them in store
until they'd depreciated, and then put them in the bin.  I'm not sure I can
think of a configuration that isn't inherently flawed in some way.  It's by
far and away the worst product I've ever used that had the Cisco logo on it
(though some unlucky souls may say the NSE-1 was worse, I never had one).
--
Ian Dickinson
Senior Network Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net