[c-nsp] Solid L2 switch - 2948G or 3548-XL-EN?

Neal R neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sat Jun 23 22:02:22 EDT 2007

  I'll second the negative report on the 2948G-L3. I've ran into one
(actually a 2980G-L3) in the field and it managed to create a routing
loop using two interfaces *that were both running OSPF*.  No, I'm not
kidding, I got access to another one later and could reproduce the
problem - it was a total delight to troubleshoot.

   The last time I was in Optimum Data there were dozens of those things
stacked up ... the word is they're an L2 switch or they're bought as a
maintenance part to replace one that has failed. Nobody turns 'em up for
routing if they can at all avoid it.

    Buy a 3550, get something later than 12.2.25SEE so rapid spanning
tree is actually rapid, and you'll be much happier.