[c-nsp] 10G options for 7600s

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jun 24 03:41:49 EDT 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Justin Shore wrote:

> So, that said, can anyone think of any reasons why we shouldn't go with
> the 6704/8 over the ES20, at least until the ES40 comes out?  What else
> am I missing?

Apart from what you already mentioned, the WS-6704 doesn't have much
bufferspace, just a few ms compared to the hundreds of ms of buffers of
the ES20 and SIP-600.

So, my rationale regarding 7600 and others is that either you make do with
the WS-6704 buffers and work around what it might not give you, or you
might as well go for the GSR/CRS-1 platforms with proper backplane.

A 7600 should be cheap and simple, if you want features and expense you
might as well go for the platforms where this was in the design from day
1.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se