[c-nsp] 10G options for 7600s

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jun 24 07:35:08 EDT 2007

>   The only option I see is the 6704 (6708 would be alright until we
> actually near the 40G backplane limit).  The Dynamic Config Tool also
> claims that none of the 6708 models are compatible with SRB but the 6704
> is supported.  Is this another side-effect of the BU split?

Yes. 6708 is not a supported / working option on SRB 7600s, and I have
been told will never be. If that upsets you for density reasons, wait
until you see the *next* 10G 6500 linecard that you can't have...

> I'm looking at a PPT of the differences between the ES20, SIP-600, and
> 67xx linecards.  It points to differences in queues (1/2RX, 4/8 TX);
> shaping, HQoS, LLQ (use strict priority), VPLS uplink, VPLS with MPLS
> edge, and local VLAN significance are all not supported.  It also points
> out a difference in the scheduler for the ports.  Nothing in this list
> jumps out at me as something I'll need for this particular deployment of
> P routers.  The price difference is very significant as well.
>
> So, that said, can anyone think of any reasons why we shouldn't go with
> the 6704/8 over the ES20, at least until the ES40 comes out?  What else
> am I missing?

Can you put a -3C on a 6704? If not, your -3C supervisors (RSP720 I
assume) will be limited to -3B mode.