[c-nsp] Graceful way to terminate BGP Session

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Jun 24 05:13:18 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 01:45:27PM +0100, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> > I can't see how the idea below saves you anything from just shutting
> > down the session.  You still incur a CPU hit when you withdraw all
> > your routes by no longer receiving them from the upstream, and the
> > internet still recalculates if you change the local preference.
>
> Doing weight or local pref tweaks inbound etc gives you the chance to check
> that everything actually has migrated to other paths - you also get to see
> that the traffic on that leg has moved - and all without turning it off.  Once
> you've checked this, you *know* your outbound traffic is sorted.

That's why you shut down the BGP session, long before shutting down the
actual physical link.

I can't see a good reason for explicitely configuring the running BGP session
to "send nothing, accept nothing" instead of just switching it off - it
will achieve the same thing with less effort.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de