[c-nsp] Graceful way to terminate BGP Session

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Sun Jun 24 12:52:19 EDT 2007

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 01:45:27PM +0100, Ian Dickinson wrote:
>>Doing weight or local pref tweaks inbound etc gives you the chance to check
>>that everything actually has migrated to other paths - you also get to see
>>that the traffic on that leg has moved - and all without turning it off.  Once
>>you've checked this, you *know* your outbound traffic is sorted.
>
> That's why you shut down the BGP session, long before shutting down the
> actual physical link.
>
> I can't see a good reason for explicitely configuring the running BGP session
> to "send nothing, accept nothing" instead of just switching it off - it
> will achieve the same thing with less effort.

That's why I suggested weight or local-pref tweaks rather than accept nothing.
 That way you still spot if there's anything still going out via that leg
(e.g. de-aggs or routes missing from other feeds) prior to downing the
session.  You're welcome to follow the less effort route - I'm just saying
that *once* this saved my bacon, and it might again one day.
--
Ian Dickinson
Senior Network Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net