[c-nsp] Cat 3750G EMI + BGP + Redundancy

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon Jun 25 15:17:11 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

 I have two 3750G-24TSs in a cabinet at our colo - configured in a
stack, with two FastE uplinks (one to each switch in stack) to our
colo's network configured with spanning tree (yuck).  As of right now
the 3750s aren't doing anything "fancy" (other than the stacking, if
you consider that fancy).

 The redundancy was If either switch/cable fails, STP re converges
and the uplink on the other switch starts forwarding traffic - sure
this doesn't do anything for the hosts on that switch, but that is for
another day.

 We are moving away from our colo's network and bringing in our own
ethernet circuits from various providers.  We are glad that we bought
3750s with EMI - we are planning to do a lot with these - BGP
(aggregated/filtered, of course - the 3750 only has 128MB of RAM), a
few ACLs, some QoS, etc.

 This is where things start to get hairy.  What do I do for "full"
redundancy now?  We are bringing in FastE circuits from three
different carriers (one drop / carrier) and we are going to run BGP
over them.  I realise that this will provide for some "redundancy",
but what about hardware failures?  What are my options for redundancy
in this configuration?  What about the stack?  Should I de-stack these
and configure them some other way?  What should I do?

 The simplest thing to do would be to drop all three circuits in the
same switch and cross my fingers.  I really don't want to do that!

 Sorry for the newb question, but I am looking for some best-practice
hints here...

Thanks!

--
Kristian Kielhofner