[c-nsp] Cisco IOS versions that support switchport?

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 21:54:19 EDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Hank Nussbacher <hank at efes.iucc.ac.il> wrote:
> I tried using the Feature navigator and could not find a simple
> "switchport" capability.

The hard one is finding support for "no switchport" :).

The HWIC-*ESW's make for a really nice option for a point-to-point
ether deployment (especially given the density limitations of the
hwic-1fe). However, "the ASICs don't permit it to be used as a layer 3
port" is the company line and instead have to create a vlan, SVI, and
assign a single port to it. Apparently I completely misunderstood the
concept of internal vlan allocation on the layer 3 switches....

As mentioned already, you could wrap the interfaces up into a BVI. As
for switching NM/NME/HWIC's, the "ES" models are full switches
(service modules) running their own code, and "ESW" models are
internal switches managed by the router.