[c-nsp] L2 or L3 to access ? That is the question... [NC]

david.ponsdesserre at sgcib.com david.ponsdesserre at sgcib.com
Wed Jun 27 08:25:18 EDT 2007

Hello .

Every access switches will be 6509 / Sup 32 / 1G uplinks .
Distribution/core Switches ( collapsed distribution and core layer) will
be using 6509-E SUP720-3BXL and a mix of 1G and 10G linecards .

Cheers
David

p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
27/06/07 10:50

David PONSDESSERRE/gb/socgen at socgen
cc
cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] L2 or L3 to access ? That is the question... [NC]

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 09:14 +0100, david.ponsdesserre at sgcib.com wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We plan to re-deisgn our Lan. The main question is should we now use
Layer
> 3 at the access ?

One major concern with L3 at the access is what class of device you can
afford at the access layer and, if your access layer devices are cheaper
than your dist/core layer, whether the inevitable degradation of
facilities matters.

A 3750 in the access layer at L3 will always do less than e.g. 6500s in
the core/dist.

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s).
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or
falsified.