[c-nsp] Strange OSPF Situation

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Wed Jun 27 13:38:18 EDT 2007

I'm trying to do something a bit weird with OSPF, and I found something
that works - I'm interested in people's opinions of why or why I
shouldn't do this.

I have 6 routers, all in a row, all in the same VLAN.

R1--RA--RB--RC--RD--R2

For reasons that are too silly to explain, I want RA, RB, RC, & RD to
neighbour with R1 & R2, and each other, but I don't want R1 to neighbour
with R2 (and vice versa).

On R1 & R2, under the ethernet interface, I use the command:

ip ospf network point-to-multipoint non-broadcast

and on RA, RB, RC, and RD I use:

ip ospf network point-to-multipoint broadcast

I don't have to put in neighbor statements, RA, RB, RC and RD
automatically neighbour with each other and R1 and R2.  R1 and R2 don't
neighbour with each other.
I get exactly the behavior I want.. but it seems a bit strange and non
standard.

Can anybody think of a reason I shouldn't do this?