[c-nsp] BGP Peer Problem with 7200-G2

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Thu Jun 28 10:28:07 EDT 2007

On 29/06/2007 12:12 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> It's late here and either I am going mad or this router is on drugs.
>

> GS-7204G2-BORDER uptime is 3 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes
> System returned to ROM by reload at 11:46:27 AEST Fri Jun 1 2007
> System restarted at 11:48:07 AEST Fri Jun 1 2007
> System image file is "disk2:c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T2.bin"
>
> -----
> GS-7204G2-BORDER(config)#router bgp xxxx
> GS-7204G2-BORDER(config-router)#
> GS-7204G2-BORDER(config-router)# neighbor x-eq remote-as xxxx
> % Create the peer-group first
> GS-7204G2-BORDER(config-router)# neighbor x-eq update-source
> GigabitEthernet0/1.602
> % Specify remote-as or peer-group commands first
> GS-7204G2-BORDER(config-router)# neighbor x-eq soft-reconfiguration inbound

I think Pete Templin has already addressed your main issue, but as a side matter
it is worth noting that "soft-reconfiguration inbound" has been discouraged for
quite some time now (years in fact, IIRC).

See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_data_sheet09186a0080087b3a.html

Quote:

"Previously, in order to perform a soft reset for inbound routing table updates,
the neighbor soft-reconfiguration command directed the Cisco IOS software in the
local BGP router to store all received (inbound) routing policy updates without
modification. This method is memory-intensive and not recommended unless
absolutely necessary. (Outbound updates have never required the extra memory and
are not affected by this feature.)"

Reuben