[c-nsp] 7600-SIP-400

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 12:55:49 EDT 2007

The throughput is 4GB/s full-duplex at 40 byte packets.  The
throughput is
5Gb/s full-duplex at 64 byte packets, and that's why on the GSR its a
2.5Gb/s
line card (up to OC48).

I tested the SIP-400 with the OC48 SPA and had no problems running
IMIX or random packet
size traffic at line rate full-duplex.  I couldn't use less than 64-
byte packets with the tester so
I didn't really get to see the point where it would break the SIP
before I ran out of bandwidth on the
OC48.

I was also able to run one OC48 and one OC12 SPA on the same SIP-400
and achieve line rate on each full-duplex using
an IMIX.   However, the SIP will complain since it has the notion of
bandwidth capacity given the SPAs that populate the
SIP, a la bandwidth points on the VXR.   It works, but it may be an
unsupported configuration. I have inquired about that and
haven't received an answer yet.

The only real limitation with the PPS rate I could see is a DoS
attack where the packet size is <64 bytes, then
you could theoretically run out of processing power on the SIP before
you fill your OC48.

Phil