[c-nsp] C6503E/SUP32 - full BGP-table?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Mar 1 14:29:35 EST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 01:41:37PM -0500, Bill Wichers wrote:
> Is there a hard limit on the max number of BGP route entries on this
> platform, or is the limit more memory-limited like on a "regular" router?

There is lots of material for this in the archives.

The short form is "256 k table entries in the hardware forwarding TCAM, to
be split between IPv4, IPv6, MPLS and multicast" - maximum IPv4 you get is
239k prefixes.

RAM can be upgraded, but the "TCAM upgrade" is the "3B -> 3B/XL" upgrade.

> Just curious since we're looking at using some 65xx equipment soon and if
> at some number of routes near 200k is going to be a problem then we might
> as well just start off with the sup720+ and not even bother looking at the
> lower end supervisors.

The sup720/3BXL has 1 Million table entries, which should suffice for a
time.

(Some sort of TCAM FIB compression would also be helpful, but I don't
think Cisco has any interest in that - if they implement FIB compression,
people won't by 3B/XL upgrades... and yes, Cisco seems to be ruled by
religiously business-driven business units).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de