[c-nsp] C6503E/SUP32 - full BGP-table?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu Mar 1 15:47:38 EST 2007

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 01:41:37PM -0500, Bill Wichers wrote:
>> Is there a hard limit on the max number of BGP route entries on this
>> platform, or is the limit more memory-limited like on a "regular"
>> router?
>
> There is lots of material for this in the archives.

I'd seen some conflicting info though and wasn't entirely sure. Cisco also
doesn't seem to list that for all the supervisors, although on the '720s
they are more specific.

> The short form is "256 k table entries in the hardware forwarding TCAM, to
> be split between IPv4, IPv6, MPLS and multicast" - maximum IPv4 you get is
> 239k prefixes.

Sounds like it's good for about one year or so then :-(

> RAM can be upgraded, but the "TCAM upgrade" is the "3B -> 3B/XL" upgrade.

This is unfortunate since we need the space for routes but don't have
needs for anywhere near the 720Gb/s switching performance of the Sup720's.

    -Bill