[c-nsp] Testing big routers

Jason Ford jason at chatinara.com
Tue Mar 6 11:21:20 EST 2007

Kim,

We did this in the past using LoadRunner.

http://www.mercury.com/us/products/performance-center/loadrunner/

Theory is you have a director and load many endpoints (normal PCs) on
each port of the router. Create a test plan that uses high bandwidth
between the endpoints like ftp transactions and run it for ~30 minutes.
If each device is connected via gigabit on both ends, you can route the
traffic over any technology you have listed below.

This should give you the load you are looking for. There are also other
hardware devices out there like Smartbits you can use to generate traffic.

http://www.spirentcom.com/analysis/technology.cfm?media=7&ws=325&ss=110

We leased these types of things for a month to do our testing so that we
didn't have to buy them. Take the information for what is it worth!

Good luck!

jason