[c-nsp] Resilience in order of few hundreds of milliseconds

Byrne, Cameron Cameron.Byrne at t-mobile.com
Tue Mar 6 16:19:09 EST 2007

Generally along this line for fast IP convergence, I am pushing Cisco to
support IP FRR triggered by BFD, especially on the 7600 in IOS for OSPF.

The work that Dave Ward presented at NANOG got me very excite.  Avici
already has something like this and I am really hoping that IP FRR
makes its way into Cisco's portfolio as well.  IP FRR can be a very
strong differentiator between vendor products.  Some precomputation /
alternate routes is better than none and it should be very simple to
deploy from the network operator perspective since IP FRR should kick in
for all low-hanging-fruit.  IP FRR will not guarantee 100%, but it will
"move the needle" on how fast IP and IP/MPLS networks converge today.

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0501/ward.html

Cameron