[c-nsp] Resilience in order of few hundreds of milliseconds

Aamer Akhter (aakhter) aakhter at cisco.com
Tue Mar 6 21:56:02 EST 2007

Hi Alaerte,

Path protection is not going to give you 'few hundred millisecond'. Keep in mind just the propagation delay of the PATH ERROR along the LSP path back to the headend could be several seconds. And that is just the bad news travelling. It sounds like you are not using POS, so depending on your setup, _detecting_ the failure could take a while, w/o BFD we're talking  ~400ms already.

Detection: ~400 ms (rsvp hello)
Propagation: several seconds (depends on topology, where the failure is etc)
Switchover: micro/milliseconds

Path protection is really for switching to another tunnel w/o going thru the delay of signaling a new tunnel. It's main goal is different than FRR (local repair, quick repair, minimize packet loss).

Hope this helps,

Aamer Akhter / aa at cisco.com
Ent & Commercial Systems, cisco Systems