[c-nsp] Strange nvram error on Cat 6509 Sup2

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed Mar 7 04:40:39 EST 2007

Hello,

This is an odd one. Sup2 which I just upgraded to IOS native from
CatOS. It worked ok before. Latest and greatest on everything. I am
preparing this to be a standby card, but right now it is in its own
chassis. Trying to save the config produces this: "startup-config
file open failed (No such device)" I haven't seen that error before
and all the same versions work fine on other Sup2s. I haven't opened
a TAC case, but I may do that tomorrow if nobody has any suggestions.
I have already run "erase nvram:" without any luck. Thanks for any
suggestions you may have.

-Robert

Router#wr
Warning: Attempting to overwrite an NVRAM configuration previously written
by a different version of the system image.
Overwrite the previous NVRAM configuration?[confirm]
startup-config file open failed (No such device)

Router#copy running-config nvram:startup-config
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Warning: Attempting to overwrite an NVRAM configuration previously written
by a different version of the system image.
Overwrite the previous NVRAM configuration?[confirm]
startup-config file open failed (No such device)

Router#dir nvram:
Directory of nvram:/

   383  ----           0                    <no date>  private-config
   384  -rw-           0                    <no date>  underlying-config

391160 bytes total (391108 bytes free)
Router#SET
Translating "SET"...domain server (255.255.255.255)
  (255.255.255.255)
Translating "SET"...domain server (255.255.255.255)
% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address
Router#set
% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address
Router#sho conf
startup-config is not present
Router#wr
Warning: Attempting to overwrite an NVRAM configuration previously written
by a different version of the system image.
Overwrite the previous NVRAM configuration?[confirm]
startup-config file open failed (No such device)

Router#dir nvram:
Directory of nvram:/

   383  ----           0                    <no date>  private-config
   384  -rw-           0                    <no date>  underlying-config

391160 bytes total (391108 bytes free)
Router#

Router#sho ver
IOS (tm) s222_rp Software (s222_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version
12.2(18)SXF7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Compiled Thu 23-Nov-06 02:23 by kellythw
Image text-base: 0x40101040, data-base: 0x42C30000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: s222_rp Software (s222_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version
12.2(18)SXF7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 25 minutes
Time since Router switched to active is 24 minutes
System returned to ROM by  power cycle (SP by reload)
System image file is "disk0:s222-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin"

(snip)

cisco WS-C6509 (R7000) processor (revision 2.0) with 458752K/65536K
bytes of memory.
Processor board ID SCA033701PJ
R7000 CPU at 300Mhz, Implementation 0x27, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2, 1024KB L3 Cache
Last reset from power-on
SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
Bridging software.
TN3270 Emulation software.
1 Virtual Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface
144 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces
2 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

16384K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).
Configuration register is 0x2102

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin