[c-nsp] slow convergence for full bgp table on a Cisco 7613/SUP720-3BXL

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 13 09:05:00 EST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 03:50:32PM +0200, Emanuel Popa wrote:
> we had 2 x GE links with our upstream and one BGP session with full
> routing table on the loopback interfaces. everything was fine until we
> needed an upgrade. so we upgraded from 2 x GE to 1 x 10GE. our biggest
> issue is that our router needs around two hours to receive the full
> bgp table over the new session. the old session takes a maximum of
> five minutes to converge. the only difference is that one session ends
> on a 6724-SFP linecard and the other session ends on a 6704-10GE
> linecard. both of them have DFCs.

Do you have packet loss on the new 10GE line?  Or do you happen to
rate-limit (control plane policing) your BGP session?

If you see high CPU load, which process is causing it ("show proc cpu sort")?

Normally the type of line card should not have any effect on control
plane traffic, i.e. BGP.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de